Tell your story
When I started Anecka almost three years ago I didn’t have much of a plan really. I had some money saved up, a pink slip from my previous job (yes I was fired, that’s a different story), a green light from my then-girlfriend-now-wife, a fresh hole in my heart from losing my mom to cancer three months before, and a determination that I had to stop talking about going on my own and just do it.
In the past three years I’ve
- burnt through most of my savings
- fired a long-time (and only) client that was causing my high cash burn rate
- learned to set client expectations and properly value my time
- switched from a skill set I had spent 8 years on (C#/.NET) in favor for PHP
- attended my first multi-day out of town conference (and spoke at said conference)
- built a business around focusing on niche clients, small projects with a quick turn-over
- jammed to some animated gifs
- released my first product for sale
A lot has happened in three years, last year I beat what I was making at my corporate job. That was the moment I figured I’d be okay. I hope to offer other freelancers & microprenuers some hope & insight on how to turn a desire to do something great into reality.